6/26/07

Black Bear Recalls Her Days as a Spartan

From Stacey Sullivan:

"I am a former Spartan, Class of 1995. I played three sports, soccer, basketball and softball and upon graduation accepted a scholarship to play softball at the University of Maine. During middle school and high school years my life belonged to sports and my teammates. I was lucky to have had very talented teammates and even better coaches in each sport I played. Those years could never be replaced for me as I'm sure many former Spartans feel that way.

Now, I am the head softball coach at the University of Maine and spent much of this Spring rooting on the Spartan softball team that went well into the tournament and earned a #10 ranking from the Globe. It brings tears to my eyes to think that those girls, along with every team at SHS, may never take the field or court together again.

Where would I be today if I went to a high school that did not have sports? I certainly would not be a softball coach at the college level, nor would my adolescent memories be filled with bus rides to Lexington, toilet-papering Coach Burnham's yard or football jambories in Melrose."

Check out the Black Bears' softball website.

No comments: